The FIFA president came under fire last year, particularly in Europe, for a proposal to increase the event’s frequency from four to two years apart.
But at the FIFA Congress in Qatar on Thursday, Infantino told the assembled world football officials that the sport’s governing body was not proposing the measure that threatened to divide the football world.
“Let me be very clear that FIFA did not propose a biennial process,” said Infantino. “The last FIFA Congress passed a vote, with 88% of votes, in favor of studying the feasibility of the World Cup every two years.” “The FIFA administration, under the leadership of the [ex-técnico do Arsenal] arsene [Wenger], then started a feasibility study… FIFA did not propose. It concluded that it is feasible, that it would have some repercussions and impacts.”
The 72nd FIFA Congress will commence in 15mins.
Follow the live stream at pic.twitter.com/G056d6RWSg
— FIFA.com (@FIFAcom) March 31, 2022
Infantino said there will now be a consultation and discussion phase.
“It’s the phase of listening to complaints and finding compromises. So looking at the leagues, the clubs and the players… we’ll try to have a debate and a discussion to find what’s best for everyone. benefit,” he said.
A February survey of 1,000 professional football players, organized by the global players union of the International Federation of Football Players (FiFPro), showed that three-quarters of them want to keep the tournament every four years.
* Reproduction of this content is prohibited.
Translated to english by RJ983
From Brazil, by EBC News